Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Transcending News Story

I love watching award winning news packages. It’s so easy to sit through a 30 minute newscast and see nothing but thrown together vo-sots and packages with no artistic attention at all. But every once in awhile, you can catch a real gem.


This one is obviously great. It won 1st place in the General News category of the National Press Photographers Association’s 2006 awards.

I love the sound, the extreme close ups, the unique camera positioning and lighting. I love the way it’s written. The sounds draw you in, then he throws in the twist of the boxing being this guy’s ministry.

I also like the line that the boxer says about “transcending boxing” and how that’s a way to get non-boxing fans to want to watch you box. If you ask me, this package is a “transcending” news story. I couldn’t care less about boxing—but I couldn’t stop watching this award winning story.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I wish you could embed those things...