Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Feeling like a Grown Up

I went to 30 Rock today to make my temp PA position official. I am getting so excited about it now! Despite crazy hours and a ridiculous commute (note: Anyone considering working in NYC--commuting stinks. If you can, live there.), I really am excited about it! The people who work there are just so great and have really become friends. The reality of my situation really hit home today. I am so lucky to have this opportunity.

I consider myself a pretty mature person, but I got slapped with a total grown-up feeling today as I was going through all the paperwork. I know I'm prepared for the work that I'll do at my job, but I hope I'm prepared for the other real-life, grown-up stuff, even for after I graduate. Insurance, taxes, bills, etc. We should have a college course on that. It's great to know calculus and biology and all that jazz, but what about learning about taxes and health care and insurance?

Another part of having a real job is having to make some sacrifices, because jobs are commitments. Perfect example: I really wanted to come out to WC this weekend, even if just to watch The County Line. But now I have a few other things to take care of before I can start next weekend. But have a great final show everyone!

That brings me to my final point: A major good luck to Steve Brink and Kirstan Guides who are graduating this December! I am so sad I missed out on your last semester. Steve, you are so dedicated and talented with broadcasting and sports--not to mention your great taste in baseball teams! I can't wait to hear more about you in the future--you have to keep in touch. And to Kirstan...my Megabeast...oh how I'll miss our Monday mornings, breakfast at the TUB, and obsessing over how awesome Pat Sandora is. You've got it, girl. Connections, dedication, drive, talent. You go hold up the west coast, I'll stand by on the east coast, and we'll meet in the middle one day!

2 comments:

Laura K. said...

yeah thank goodness for my dad, cuz he helps figure out the health care stuff and he does my taxes haha. I just hold on to the paycheck stubs and pay the bills!

good luck at 30 rock. You can always take over Pat's couch. he can sleep on the floor. HAHA

Titan Town Sports Video Weblog said...

You'll catch up soon enough...