Wednesday, September 20, 2006

And the BC beat goes on...

I’m coming up on weekend 4 of my internship, and I’m dying to blog more about it! However, my bosses have asked me to not blog specifically about what I’m doing, as competition is cut throat in this business! So instead, I’ve decided to write about some things I’m learning personally, without letting on to any fabulous secrets. ;)

With all the celebrity chat in my last blog, I can’t help but name drop. You never know who you might see in 30 Rock. Just last Friday I had quite a star-studded day. Mr. Matt Lauer and Al Roker are two my favorites—it’s great to see people who have made it but are still just as normal as can be. Then of course there was Stacy London from What Not to Wear. She is just as fabulous in real life as you’d think (but as soon as I saw I would be around her for a few hours, I was instantly self-conscious about my outfit! But alas, she was there working and my style, or lack there of, was the least of her concerns. Phew!) I also saw Dr. Keith Ablow and then, my very favorite star sighting of the week: THE Pat Sandora! That’s right everyone. I saw him. Get jealous.

Now on to a little something I learned this week at my internship: Unless you want to look really silly, know your stuff. I don’t want to get specific with why I’m pointing this out, but let me just say that I am so appreciative of everything I’ve learned at WC about the broadcasting world. I was able to converse with Amy Robach, Lester Holt, and some of the news writers about the broadcasting business as if I was one of their contemporaries. It just goes to show that the more education and research you do on your own, the more you can get out of an experience like an internship. Yes, you’ll learn new and valuable things there, but having a broad base of knowledge on the business and the company you’re interning with is definitely helpful.

I’m also learning things I don’t want to do. For example, I’m really starting to learn that, though it might be an easier transition to go right into a behind-the-scenes position, I just don’t want that. I really want to be on-air. I’ve heard many different suggestions about how to get there—from sticking with the network by starting behind the scenes and working my way through the newsroom to eventually get on-air, to heading out to a tiny little market and just starting out right on-air. I definitely feel that the latter is for me. Why waste my time doing something I don’t want to do when I don’t really care about the network status? I want to be on-air and I can’t wait to start doing that again!

1 comment:

Laura K. said...

maybe melissa batulis could help you, too, since she basically went out and got on air as a reporter at a smaller station and worked up from that. sounds like you're having fun out there, and i am jealous you saw pat! LOL