Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Checkin' out the Crystal Ball...

When reading everyone’s blogs about their future email, I realized I had a lot in common with DJ. DJ and I are both really driven to make it and we’ve both set our aims pretty high. I’d be kidding myself if I didn’t admit that ultimately, I’d LOVE to be able to say “This is Today on NBC.” That’d pretty much be amazing. And I know that if I want it, I’m think I could get myself there. But I also realize that there’s a lot of other stuff I want to do, too. I want to have the time in a small market to be able to get to know a little town and report of light stuff that you can really tell a story about, instead of just reporting on shootings in Queens and stuff like that which is generally reported on in large markets. I really want to tell the stories and if that means I have to stay in a lower market, I’m okay with that. One thing I'm sure about, is that me and the gals in the class definitly have the single and fabulous thing in common. 10 years is not enough time to get a career going and a family too. A family in that short period of time would just totally slow me down. No need for that.

Like many others in the class, traveling is top on my list of things to be doing in 10 years. If I’m not in news, I want to work at the discovery channel or something like it. They have some great channels (like say the travel channel!) with shows that are put together much like a package. Whether it be Samantha Brown or Anthony Bourdain traveling across Europe or an educational show on the rainforest, they’re all story telling. I feel like I could really really get into that.

I checked out some other non-capstone blogs too. I like lost remote. It’s very forward thinking and has been around for awhile, since before the new millennium! Wow. The founder of Lost Remote, Cory Bergman, knows his stuff. He’s been around the business. I feel like he tends to be one step ahead of the industry, by writing about stuff that might not be popular yet, but will be in a few years.

I was also interested in the Pixie Wrangler's weblog. He talks about real things he encounters while on the job, which I find interesting and helpful. I especially like it because he writes about stories he covers and business stuff, not about personal stuff. I’m sorry, but if I’m going to read a broadcasting blog, I don’t care about what your 4 year old ate for breakfast. If I want personal stuff, I’ll look elsewhere.

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Hey Liz!
I hope everything is going well for you. Your presence is definitely missed in the newsroom! :( It's taking me a while to get everything as organized as you had it.

It is so awesome to have people in this class with goals of getting jobs with NBC and ESPN, etc. Everyone is so driven, and it really is inspiring. Good luck with your internship!

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

What's the deal with photogs blogging and very few producers and reporters? The reporters I do find are merely an extension of the marketing of their stations.