Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Going for the Goals!

Taking a cue from my fellow capstoners, I decided to put down some solid goals for the near and far future. One of the really great things about doing an internship, I think, is that it helps you decide what you really want to do—or what you really don’t want to do. And that's an extremely helpful thing to find out before you get out into the real world. Now, for the goals.

Short Term Goals:

1.) Get everything I can out of this internship.
I want to continue the connections I’ve already made and expand on them. I want to find out my options, like what’s the best way to get hooked up with a job after graduation, and what kind of jobs are an option? I know that some of the interns I worked with last summer are already working in the business, whether it be for Dateline or competing networks, thanks to the connections. I want to find out how to go about getting the job that I want, with the help of the experience I get here.
2.) Decide on my senior project. I want to figure out exactly what I’ll be doing for my senior project. I can’t believe it’s time for me to already be thinking about this. I remember going to the senior capstone presentations back when I was a freshman and thinking, “Man, they are so cool! I wonder what I’ll do for my presentation!” And now, I actually have to figure it out. So I plan on brainstorming a little bit about how I can use this internship as a senior project. 3.) Do some research. With everything that I’ve experienced recently, I’ve realized that I need to be more open-minded about things and trust my gut. If I’m really enjoying one thing, I need to go for it, even if it wasn’t in the original plans. And conversely, if I’m really not feeling something, I need to be okay with letting it go and trying something different. So, I want to spend some time researching what my options are. Putting together the things that I like and the things I don’t like and seeing what I can come up with as a possible future career.


Long Term Goals:


1.) Travel Travel Travel. All I want to do, even right now, is travel. After going to Europe this summer, I have totally gotten the travel bug. I want to take the time to travel before settling down. If possible, I’d love to coordinate that with a great job. Getting paid to travel would pretty much be the ultimate dream realized.
2.) No limits. After I graduate, I don’t want to limit myself at all. I don’t want to keep myself in one area, or even in one country. I want to be as adventurous as possible. If a job comes up that wasn’t in my plans or is different from what I thought I’d be doing, as long as it’s something I want at the moment, I don’t want to be afraid to take it.
3.) Make a difference. This one is pretty vague, but I know that whatever I end up doing, I want to help people. Even if it’s just as small as sharing someone’s story with a public that needs to hear it or spreading the word about an important topic. Ultimately I’d love to raise awareness about various world topics, like AIDS and poverty. I want to bring the important, life-altering topics that are often kept on the back burner right up front to the public’s attention.

6 comments:

DJ Yokley said...

Drive is something that I learned from you!!! Look at you Ms. Doitall, I miss you and your smiling face around campus.

Mike Wolenski said...

Here's the deal, you're going to have a show on my network called the Alpaca Hunter. Basically you travel around the world looking for Alpacas, or is it Alpaci

Amy said...

First of all, I miss you terribly and can't wait for you to come back!! I'm so happy you found an internship, though, so you're not totally broadcasting deprived :) I have the exact same feelings as you about travel right now. I want to go as many places as I can before settling down...and hey, if someone wants to pay for me to do that then more power to them, right? I decided that I can really picture you as one of those journalists that goes searching in caves for Bin Laden or is the first to uncover a big scandal at a nuclear power plant or something. So, work on that is you can :) Talk to you soon!

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

YES!!!
You're blogging with the rest of them.

They really want to go to Vegas for the BEA as well.

Are you up for that?

Kirstan Gides :) said...

First of all, I miss you like crazy. Second, you need to come visit ASAP. and Third, hows life girlie?

Kirstan Gides :) said...

Oh most definitely! We will so be famous together someday! I can see it now! :) Come visit me ASAP!