Monday, September 18, 2006

The first step is admiting...I am obsessed.

Okay fine! I admit it. I love celebrity gossip. Am I proud? No. Do I try to hide it? Yes. And yet here I am admiting it. It's actually one of my 12 steps to getting un-addicted to celebrity gossip. So naturally, I had to check out the blog that Kirstan and Aidan looked at, http://trent.blogspot.com/. And right there, the latest post, my biggest, yet probably saddest obsession right in front of my eyes: Britney Spears.

I was reading Stevi's latest blog about this site and I agree with her conclusion. The celebrity obsession is like an escape from reality. People who are consumed by the realities of everyday life turn to the fantastic, unreal lives of celebrities and escape into them. It's so much easier to make fun of Britney Spears' lack of shoes in a gas station then to admit that you have to work on some major proposal for your job. It's more fun to talk about the fighting between Paris and Nicole than to talk about our very own troops fighting in Iraq.

But does that make it okay? As much as I understand, a part of me wants to be like, suck it up people! Bad stuff happens and maybe if we all knew more about the bad things in the world and took the time to learn about it, then we could do something to fix it. That's why I would love to report on stuff like that...the unknown struggles in all parts of the world. I feel like if you report it in a way that isn't cold and harsh, just throwing out the facts and leaving it at that, then you really can get people interested. It's about writing it in a way that tells a story, that shows real people and makes it relatable. Celebrities are real people and we see their pictures everyday. If you saw a picture of children from Darfur everyday, don't you think you'd want to know more about their struggle of everyday life?

So basically, the celeb reporters and bloggers might be on to something. Somehow they've caught our attention. Maybe we can follow suit and use their techniques to bring more important things to the public's attention.

1 comment:

Pat Sandora said...

I am celebrity gossip obsessed as well. These bloggers have become pseudo-celebrities themselves. I love Pinkisthenewblog.com, too! Read it every day.

Also check out:
www.perezhilton.com
www.thesuperficial.com
www.gofugyourself.com
www.wwtdd.com