Saturday, November 11, 2006

Ask the Experts...

I have gotten so much information and tips in the past two days. Yesterday I met with the leader of the Page Program. It was an informational meeting, show-my-face type of meeting. He suggested that, since I graduate in May, I should apply pretty soon. So basically, I have to do some mega decision making asap. Today I followed the Weekend Today pages up to the page offices, locker room, and to grill them with some questions. There are so many pluses and minuses, I honestly don't know what to do right now or how I will ever be able to decide what I want to be doing 6 months from now!

I've also gotten some more feedback on my resume tape. I got some excellent advice from Amy Robach, who is such a talented anchor and just an amazing person--I really admire her. She suggested that I put a longer montage of myelf in the beginning of the tape, so I need to do some more stand-ups and maybe put more anchoring in there. She praised my on-air presence and voice-quality. One thing that pretty much everyone has told me (which luckily, I already knew was an issue) is that I need to make my tracked voice have the same energy and pace as my stand-up voice. Mr. Weaver and I used to talk about this. It's difficult to be as energetic and peppy when you're recording something in the audio booth. I need to re-track my pieces, using some techniques I've heard from various people (holding a cell phone or looking into a mirror or a picture to act like I'm having a conversation).

I also took a long stroll with Brian Balthazar, Today Show producer and occasional correspondent. He gave me loads of tips and information--I couldn't possibly share it all here! One thing that I hadn't thought of before was to get headshots done. Unfortunatly, the business is very into looks, so I have to play along--at least for now. He also suggested I look out for hosting jobs, which is another thing I've actually been considering. So, I'm definitly adding to my list of places to look for jobs (hence my complete inability to make a decision!)

Phew! That's all I'll write about for now because my blogs are getting way too long. But basically I've been showing my tape to everyone I can to get feedback and info from those in the know. I'm sure there's more people to meet with before I'm done with my internship, but right now there's one main person I'm waiting on. He's quite a busy guy, so I'm waiting for him to get a free second for me! More about that later...

6 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I know you really grapple with the tracking thing-- chances to work in courses like oral interpretation are great for that...or the DJ shifts also help you. You want to keep from slipping into that "official news voice" and be yourself.

Laura K. said...

good luck with the whole deciding what to do thing, but dont worry you'll probly end up doing something else totally! Haha! just do whatever you like to do. and pray you hit the lottery jackpot. LOL

Amy said...

Wow you're a busy girl!! Sounds like things are going well with handing out your resume tape and networking...you're always on the ball :) Question, though: When are we going to go visit our boys at the fishing place in Volant again??

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Did I send you the e-mail about developing a list for this week's blog? I can't remember what I do and do not do.

Anonymous said...

Go Liz Go!!!

Leanne said...

Liz,
I admire you so much for being so driven and determined! You are going to be so successful.

But first, you need to come back to WC and help me get this newsroom back in order!