Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Small towns are full of character

I went to the New Wilmington Borough Council meeting last night and got a lot more than I expected from it. I realized how much I like small town politics. I think I could really survive in a small market—even enjoy it. I like knowing people and creating relationships with them. I like creating that trust with sources. The police chief gave me my first “off the record” information. It was very flattered that he trusted me with that.

I also just like the council members. Everyone’s a character. There’s the large and in charge president with the authoritative-looking moustache. There’s the pretty, feminine secretary with her rectangular glasses on the tip of her nose. The fun, young, chic parks & pools committee leader. And of course, the always smiling, kind-hearted, streets committee leader. I felt a bit like I had stepped back in time. And since they’re all volunteers, you can really see how they value their town.

I also realized that I would probably get bored with such an atmosphere, but it’s nice to feel like I could really enjoy starting out in a place like that. And the part that is most important to me about this job is the connection with people.

1 comment:

Tandi Lane said...

Once again, very realistic. I love that you realize and know what you might like and what you might want down the road. Many people can work in a small market and be happy and I have met many of those people. I honestly do see you moving on to bigger things, which doesn't always necessarily mean better. But, I think you'll be successful no matter what you do becasue your driven. You could be the star of a small town or an unknown in a big market and I know you'll work just as hard!