Thursday, March 29, 2007

What We Call The News!



Leave it to JibJab to put everything in perspective! I love this video not only because it's hilarious, like most JibJab videos are, but it's also so true. And it brings up a subject that I've been thinking about for awhile during all the job search insanity.

What has news become today? It's so suffocated by money and politics that a lot of the really important stuff gets pushed aside. That's not to say that I don't think the news does good things. It definitely has its redeeming qualities. But I think it could do so much more.

Maybe that's where this new era of news is leading to. Taking some of the power out of the hands of the few and putting it in the hands of the masses. Hopefully this will help relieve some of the business and politics that so consumes the news business. I mean, look at PBS. They have some high quality programming and they don't have to deal with the money/politics issue quite as much.

Down the road, I want to do something meaningful. I realize that I might have to start out reporting on the fires and shootings and scandals, but eventually, I hope to be involved with better stories that actually help people. There are so many issues going on in the world and even in our own backyards and I wish the news would do more in bringing those things to the public's eye.

2 comments:

B. Weaver said...

Parody and satire always have genuine nuggets of truth.

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

It works now! So many people have linked to it that Jib Jab's server was overwhelmed earlier this week.