Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Elusive Job Search...

I am always looking for job postings on all sorts of different websites, but until recently it’s only been for fun. I can’t believe that I actually have to start being serious about it! Am I really a senior already?

In my searches, I look at job sites that list a variety of stations, markets, and positions, like Media Bistro, RTNDA, Journalism Jobs, Production Hub, to name a few. (I actually tend to keep away from site that charge you to see job listings, like TV Jobs or Media Line, because frankly, I feel like the live human connections I’ve made will help me get a job better than a paid subscription to a website.) I’ve also been looking into more specific company websites like PBS, The Discovery Channel, Channel One, and NBC Universal. The NBC Universal site is the one I keep my eye on most, because I think it’d be great to go from an NBC internship to an NBC job—plus there are plenty of options around the country. Someone I work with suggested Channel One, which I think I’ve heard before, but I guess it took hearing it from a big wig who I absolutely admire to get me to actually look into it. And as for the Discovery and PBS sites, I’ve been keeping my eyes open for non-reporter jobs also. I love doing feature stories and lots of the programs on those channels are really just long-format packages!

But in all my job searching, there is one thing I am totally looking for: travel opportunities. All I can think about these days is how much I want to travel. I will go absolutely anywhere, especially if it’s international. I am more interested in learning about other countries and culture than I am about anything else right now. And I’m not exactly sure how to loop that into a job, or if that’s even realistic at this point in time. But I’m only young for so long and I want to spend my younger years traveling the globe!

I’m realizing now, though, that I have to start getting much more serious about this. My job searches are very general. I think I need to find out what size market I can potentially go to, where I can see myself living, and exactly what it is I want to be doing 8 months from now. And that's no small task.

3 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Would you pay for Media Line?

Liz Farry said...

Honestly, probably not. The only way I might is if after graduation I really really have trouble finding a job on my own. Maybe it'd be a last resort, but I don't see a point in doing it initially.

Kirstan Gides :) said...

I MISS YOU MEGABEAST!!!! When are you coming to visit me?!?!?!?!