Saturday, October 28, 2006

Superhero Intern...

I like to think of an intern as a type of superhero. Always around when someone needs help, but slips cleverly out of the way when need be. If you work at a place that has interns, all you have to do is call. You name it, you got it. (okay, within reason, of course.) And it's great being a superhero intern because you get to meet all the important people and there are lots of perks. Like, how cool is it for a producer to ask you to run down the street to the HBO studios to pick up a tape of The Sopranos! (Of course, it does make the trip a little less fun when you end up getting the heel of your boot caught in a sewer grate...during the lunch hour crowds...right in midtown Manhattan. yeah my superhero intern powers did not help out there.)

But sometimes, it takes some grunt work. And I'm okay with that. Check "An Anchor's Best Friend" video on this page. Here you'll find my MSNBC.com debut, where a little part of one of my not-so-broadcasting-oriented-tasks is put out there for all to view.

There is actually a point to this. I've decided to make my senior project a little "How to" guide for interns. I want to lay out a guideline of tips, do's and don'ts, and maybe throw in some of my own experiences to round it all out. Finally, I've decided what to do! <>

And as for my alumni profile project, I already contacted the wonderful Melissa Batulis of WFMZ. She gave me some great advice that I think I can easily turn into a profile on her. She's a great example of what the Westminster Broadcasting program can do if you put it to good use.

Until next time, I'm flying off to perform more superhero intern duties...bright and early in the AM!

2 comments:

Kirstan Gides :) said...

I'm glad to hear you are a superhero....I knew it all along.....could your superhero name be MEGABEAST?!?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz...it was great seeing you at homecoming! I can't wait til you come back for good! Anyway I think your senior project idea is excellent!! A guideline for interns is perfect! We don't have that yet. It'll be like Dr. B's checklist for success but it'll be Liz's checklist for intern success. Oh yeah...Do you think you could send me over what you have so far in December? That's when I start my internship...and I could use the advice.