Friday, January 19, 2007

Back in the Bubble

First of all, I am so glad to be back at school! The transition from the real world to the Westminster bubble is a little bit odd, but working out okay so far.

For this week, our capstone class is revisiting a past assignment where we write a letter from our future, 5 years from now, selves. Thinking about what's going to happen in the future and what I have to prepare for tends to get my heart rate up a lot (in complete fear!) so this letter is proving harder to write than I thought. So, that will have to come a bit later.

For now, I want to do a quick update on my senior project. I was going to put together a sort of Intern How To presentation. I think I'll probably still do that, since it's fairly simple and I already have some of it done, but I don't really want to use that for my senior project anymore. Here's what I'm thinking I'll do instead:

I want do a little trip through time with my on-air work. I could start out showing some of my first packages and anchoring shows, in all their ridiculous messiness. Then I could juxtapose them with my most recent work, which (hopefully!) shows lots of improvement. I could even throw in some of how my time with the Today Show helped me to improve. This way, maybe it could be a little more entertaining, because we could all watch and laugh at how terrible I was in the beginning!

This could all also help me build up and fix my resume tape, which is something else I want to do. I also want to have a polished, ready-to-send-out paper resume, with my recommendation letters all organized. And the other thing I have to do is my e-portfolio, but first I have to figure out how. Eventually, I'd like to have a few different resume (tape & paper) and e-portfolios, some for TV new reporting, some for TV producing?, and maybe even some for radio news, so I'm prepared for anything.

Always be prepared. The boy scouts stole that from me.

:)

1 comment:

Tandi Lane said...

Good planning Liz! It's always best to have multiple tape and paper resumes and that way, it's so much easier to apply for jobs because you ALWAYS want your tape to reflect your best work, but you also always want a paper resume that caters to the job you are applying for. I always go ahead and send my reference sheet as well and I do recommend doing that! Make sure your cover letter is captivating and you should be good to go!

I like your ambition and forward thinking!