Sunday, January 21, 2007

Me + 5 years

Our assignment for capstone this week was to write a letter as ourselves 5 years from now. It took me a long to even attempt to write this letter because I really have no clue what I'll be doing or what path I'll take. Although, I have kind of narrowed it down to two different paths (the on-air or the behind the scenes to work to on-air). I wasn't able to decide which to do, so I did both. Here they are (in absolutely NO particular order!):

Plan A
Hi Mr. Weaver!

I can’t believe it’s been 5 years since I graduated WC! I was finally able to afford a place in New York City with my friend from Westminster. Right now I’m still working with NBC as a researcher. I’m getting to do a lot more segment planning and interviews and stuff, but it’s tough with the crazy hours. I’m trying to keep up with my connections because I’m still hoping to transition to on-camera work. I’ve been going out with producers and shooting stand-ups and such whenever I can, but I’m generally too bogged down with other things. All in all, it’s great to work for NBC. I’ve gotten to go to so many amazing events and meet some really cool people. So for now, this is good.

Sincerely, Liz Farry


Plan B
Hi Mr. Weaver!

I’ve been reporting for NewsChannel12 for some time now, and I’ve just been offered a job at WNBC as a weekend reporter! Hopefully with a few years in that position I’ll be able to work up to weekdays or maybe a weekend anchor position at some point. I’ll keep you updated on the new job!

Sincerely, Liz Farry


I didn't expect these letters to do anything for me, but in actuality, they did. I realized how exciting and good it felt to write about Plan B, even though it was such a short letter and I'm not even sure if it's possible to hope for that. But while writing Plan A, I just kind of felt the stress and time-consuming-ness that I know that job brings. Maybe it's just because I haven't experienced the reporting side of it and the other side I've seen first hand. Or maybe it's a bit of a hint as to which direction would make me happiest.

Interesting assignment....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well maybe you can do both. Living in New York would be awesome. It's great that you have a plan B. I need to get me one of those.

Tandi Lane said...

Hey Liz! I think both letters are great and with hard work and dedication, they are both realistic as to what you can get into within 5 years of the broadcast realm! Some people think it's easy to go out and be the next Howard Stern or Katie Couric, but these are the people that end up realizing broadcasting is not easy and there is a lot of sacrifice involved and quit. Your goals are realistic and I think that's great! Way to go girl!