Saturday, January 27, 2007

A World Without Broadcasting...

This week we’re writing about what we could offer to a career not in broadcasting. It’s actually a very thought-provoking question and maybe a good one to keep in the back of our minds, as I think many broadcast majors tend to be a bit obsessed with broadcasting (me included.) So what could I bring to a non-broadcasting career? Here’s a breakdown of a few things:

  • I have good communication skills. I can comfortably speak in front of crowds or one-on-one.
  • I’m a problem solver and a leader. If something needs done, I can figure out how to do it and get it done.
  • When I worked with the Weekend Today show, the news producer, Don Ennis, always complimented me on my ability to stay calm and think clearly under stressful situations. This could be an asset to any deadline-driven job.
  • I’m committed and hard-working and don’t believe in doing things half way.
  • Finally, I’m respectful to those I work with and those in authority positions. This is something I think is often overlooked. I am a firm believer that if you’re pleasant to work with, the workplace will be a nicer place to be, and everyone will get more done.

I'm not sure what specific jobs I would look for, but in an ideal world, it wouldn't be stagnant, and it would include people, traveling, and fun. And maybe some warm weather thrown in there, too.

2 comments:

B. Weaver said...

Looks like you need to set the word verfication feature on your comments...

Meanwhile-- I think we should get you out there to talk to student about the importance of the internship.

Tandi Lane said...

Hey girl! I think these are great skills to have! Broadcasting is great and there does have to be a passion for it and I will always have a passion for it and music and such, but you will realize that once you go out into the so called "real world" that you are fit for many positions, maybe Public Relations or Advertising, working in government affiars or for an entertainment agency. I think as long as you're in a setting where you can still be creative, you'll be great!